Alpine Processions / Farmers festivals / Cow fights
June - September 2020
The Saas Valley is rich in tradition, and from June to September you can experience some of our most famous cultural events for yourself.
With traditional Alpine processions, yodelling festivals, cow fights and the coronation of the queen of the herd, our program offers entertainment for the whole family!
15 June 2019
- Distelalp, Saas-Almagell
- from 11.30 a.m.: Start of the cow fights in Zermeiggern. Food will be provided (barbecues and drinks). In case of bad weather a tent will be set up.
16 June 2019
- Eyualp, Saas-Almagell
- At 10:30 a.m. the Holy Mass begins. Afterwards cow fights.
- Food and beverage will be provided in the tent. Everyone is invited.
22 June 2019 (alternative date: 15 or 29 June 2019)
- Alpe Hannig, Saas-Fee (Alpine procession of the goats to Hannigalp )
- 09.15 a.m. Gathering of the goats, helpers and visitors at the upper parkinglot by the Wildi. Hike up to the Hannigalp, where refreshments are waiting for the helpers. Animal-lovers have the possibility to become a godfather of a goat.
23 June 2019
- Triftalp, Saas-Grund
- 9.30 a.m.: arrival of the cows
- 11 a.m.: beginning of the mass
- 11.45 a.m.: cow fights
07 July 2019 - Shepherd Ceremony
More than 100 "Saaser Mutten", protected by ProSpezieRara and threatened with extinction, can be admired at this festival. The impressive bathing of the sheep starts around 10.00 a.m. At 11.45 a.m. the blessing of the sheep and the cosy get-together with food and drink take place. All visitors and friends of the Saaser Mutten are welcome to take part in this piece of lived shepherd culture.
- Time: 10 a.m.
- Place: Camping Mischabel
14 July 2019 - Yodelling mass on Kreuzboden
Jodlermesse on Kreuzboden - An event close to heaven. The combination of the Holy Mass with musical entertainment by the Grubenalp Yodelling Club on 14 July 2019 is another highlight of the summer programme.
At 11 a.m. the Holy Mass begins at the lake at Kreuzboden.
Afterwards the guests meet in the restaurant Kreuzboden for the BBQ on the sun terrace.
3 August 2019 - Goat Festival in Saas-Fee and on the Alpe Hannig
A great occasion to watch goats on close range.
- 10.15 a.m.: Apéro for authorities, guests as well as goat owners and breeders
- from 11 a.m. until closing time:
- Festival operation with musical entertainment by the Saaser Grüess Country Orchestra on the Postplatz in Saas-Fee
- Grilled meat: steaks, sausages (pork and goat sausage)
- Raclettes (cow and goat cheese)
- Market with alpine products from the Alpe Hannig, Saas-Fee
- 11.00 a.m. dotting of the Valais blacknecked goats
- 2.15 p.m. Performances of the folkloristic dance group, Saas-Fee
- 2.30 p.m. Presentation of at least seven Swiss goat breeds (expert Peter Baumann, Grindelwald)
- Afterwards goat parade through Saas-Fee
15 August 2019 - Yodelling mass and alpine farmers festival at the Hoferalp
The Hoferalp can be reached in approximately one hour by foot from Kreuzboden.
The mass with the yodelling club Grubenalp from Saas-Balen starts at 11 a.m. on the Hoferalp. Afterwards, the "Älplerfest" will take place. You can expect a social gathering, singing performances of the yodelling club and domestic alp cheese.
15 August 2019 - Alpine farmers festival on Triftalp
Mountains, cows and cheese. A stereotype, indeed. And yes, the farmers are proud of their cows, so it's not surprising that everyone comes to the mountain to kick the strongest cow. Which cow will take home the title Alpkönigin this time?
The traditional alpine festival on Triftalp begins with Holy Mass at 11 a.m.
Railway operation from 7.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- 11 a.m. Holy mass with the yodelling club Antrona, Saas-Almagell
- afterwards entertainment with the Aletschmusik, the yodelling club and Nando & David in the "Weinstube"
- 1 p.m. "Stone pushing" contest and alp chese / Ziger sell
- from 3.30 p.m. possibility to eat the traditional Saas meat soupe
- 4 p.m. Coronation of the cows
07 September 2019
- Alpine procession from Hoferalp to Saas-Balen
- Experience how the Alpine herdsmen return to their villlage after a summer up on the Alp. The cows are beautifully decorated.
- 10 a.m.: Alpine procession from "Hoferälpji"
- ca. 12 p.m.: Arrival of the procession in Saas-Balen.
- Afterwards: Big cheese sale and festive food & drinks in Saas-Balen.
14 or 21 September 2019
- Alpe Hannig, Saas-Fee (from Alpe Hannig to Saas-Fee)
- Accompany the goats returning from the Alpe Hannig to Saas-Fee. At about 10.30, after a "refreshment" for the goats in the Stafelwald, they will continue their parade through the glacier village Saas-Fee. 09.15 a.m. Meeting point on Alpe Hannig