In summer the famers of the Saas Valley let the cow and the goat out!
Absolute family fun! From June to September you have the opportunity to take part in original folklore events. Traditional alpine festivals characterise the Saas Valley summer. Experience beautiful days in good company and a fantastic atmosphere. Experience the exciting cow fights followed by a cosy party with raclette, music and other Valaisan specialities. Cultural entertainment for the whole family
19.06.2021 | Alpine Procession Distelalp | Saas-Almagell
Experience this historic custom when the cows are brought to the alp for the summer.
Zermeiggern (Above the balancing basin).
- 10 a.m.: Festivities - Menu: Ragout with polenta
- 11 a.m.: Start of the fights
19.06.2021 | Alpine procession Alpe Hannig | Saas-Fee
Accompany the goats to Alpe Hannig for summering.
- From 9 p.m.: Gathering of the goats, helpers & guests at the upper car park (P1) in the direction of Wildi to move together to Hannigalp.
- Further information will be provided on site.
27.06.2021 | Alpine procession Triftalp | Saas-Grund
The alpine team of Triftalp are looking forward to a few cosy hours.
10 a.m.: Arrival of the cows
11 a.m.: Holy mass
12 p.m.: Start of the ring cow fights
Catering: Meat, Bratwurst & Ribs
Arrival: Exit Triftalp for CHF 10.- (ascent & descent)
Protection concept: The current corona measures apply.
18.07.2021 | Yodel Fair | Kreuzboden, Saas-Grund
Yodelling Mass at Kreuzboden - An event very close to heaven. Combining Holy Mass with musical entertainment with the Grubenalp Yodelling Club.
- 11 a.m.: Holy Mass by the lake at Kreuzboden.
- Afterwards, guests meet at the Kreuzboden Restaurant for a BBQ on the sun terrace.
08.08.2021 | Big Goat Festival | Alpe Hannig & Postplatz, Saas-Fee
A very special opportunity to have practically all original Swiss goat breeds demonstrated to each other by the designated goat expert and explained with regard to identification, origin, etc. or to enjoy pure, natural goat's milk products at the market stall - the goat festival in the glacier village of Saas Fee offers all this and much more.
- Apéro 10.30 a.m.: for authorities, guests and goat owners and breeders
- From 11 a.m. until closing time: festival with musical entertainment by the Ländlerkapelle Saaser Grüess on the Postplatz in Saas-Fee
- 11.15 a.m.: Puncturing of the Valais black-necked goats
- 1.15 p.m.: Performances by the Saas-Fee children's traditional dance group
- 2.15 p.m: Further performances by the Saas-Fee children's traditional dance group
- 2.30 p.m: Presentation of Swiss goat breeds (expert Peter Baumann, Grindelwald) Followed by goat parade through Saas-Fee
Catering: Grilled food: steaks, bratwurst (pork and goat sausage) & raclette (cow and goat cheese)
Market: Alpine products from Alpe Hannig Saas Fee
15.08.2021 | Farmers festivals Triftalp | Saas-Grund
Mountains, cows and cheese. A stereotype, indeed. And yes, the farmers are proud of their cows and therefore it is not surprising that everyone gathers on the mountain to crown the strongest ring cow of the summer.
- 11 a.m.: Holy Mass , followed by entertainment with the Aletsch Music, the Yodel Club Antrona & Nando & David in the wine tavern.
- 1 p.m.: Stone throwing and sale of alpine cheese and Ziger.
- From 3.30 p.m.: Saas meat soup
- 4 p.m.: Crowning of the Alpine Queen and Dairy Cow of the Summer
Cable Car: from 7.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
11.09.2021 | Alpine procession Hoferalp | Saas-Balen
Experience how the Alpine herdsmen return to their villlage after a summer up on the Alp. The cows are beautifully decorated.
- 10 a.m.: Alpine procession from "Hoferälpji".
- approx. 12 p.m.: Arrival of the procession in Saas-Balen.
- Afterwards the is a Big cheese sale and festive food & drinks in Saas-Balen
18.09.2021 | Alpine procession Alpe Hannig | Saas-Fee
In autumn, the goats are very fit and have a great urge to leave the mountain.
- 09.15 a.m.: Gathering for spectators and companions for the "last alpine pasture" in the Stafelwald region.
- Followed by a procession through the village (via church - community centre - upper village street - tourist office - parking lot P1).