Over a century old, but very forward-thinking.
The Britannia Hut at 3030m above sea level is one of the most-booked SAC huts and marks the start of the legendary Haute Route. In 1997 it was fully renovated and it now offers 134 comfortable beds, three dining rooms and modern bathrooms. Solar energy delivers the power for the lighting and phones, and the hut collects snowmelt and rain. Saving the environment is also a priority when it comes to waste disposal: rubbish is separated and flown down to the valley by helicopter along with the waste water.
Accomodation prices (per day incl. half board)
- SAC members: CHF 70.-
- Non-members (18 years and older): CHF 82.-
- Youth (10 – 22 years old) SAC members: CHF 57.-
- Youth (10 – 17 years old) non-members: CHF 63.-
- Children (1 – 9 years old): CHF 37.-
- Visitor's tax for adults: CHF 2.-
- Visitor's tax for children (6-16 years old): CHF 1.-