In summer the famers of the Saas Valley let the cow and the goat out!
Absolute family fun! From June to September you have the opportunity to take part in original folklore events. Traditional alpine festivals characterise the Saas Valley summer. Experience beautiful days in good company and a fantastic atmosphere. Experience the exciting cow fights followed by a cosy party with raclette, music and other Valaisan specialities. Cultural entertainment for the whole family
19 July 2020 - Yodelling mass on Kreuzboden
Jodlermesse on Kreuzboden - An event close to heaven. The combination of the Holy Mass with musical entertainment by the Grubenalp Yodelling Club on 14 July 2019 is another highlight of the summer programme.
At 11 a.m. the Holy Mass begins at the lake at Kreuzboden.
Afterwards the guests meet in the restaurant Kreuzboden for the BBQ on the sun terrace.
8 August 2020 - Goat Festival in Saas-Fee and on the Alpe Hannig
A great occasion to watch goats on close range.
- 10.15 a.m.: Apéro for authorities, guests as well as goat owners and breeders
- from 11 a.m. until closing time:
- Festival operation with musical entertainment by the Saaser Grüess Country Orchestra on the Postplatz in Saas-Fee
- Grilled meat: steaks, sausages (pork and goat sausage)
- Raclettes (cow and goat cheese)
- Market with alpine products from the Alpe Hannig, Saas-Fee
- 11.00 a.m. dotting of the Valais blacknecked goats
- 2.15 p.m. Performances of the folkloristic dance group, Saas-Fee
- 2.30 p.m. Presentation of at least seven Swiss goat breeds (expert Peter Baumann, Grindelwald)
- Afterwards goat parade through Saas-Fee
15 August 2020 - Alpine farmers festival on Triftalp
Mountains, cows and cheese. A stereotype, indeed. And yes, the farmers are proud of their cows, so it's not surprising that everyone comes to the mountain to kick the strongest cow. Which cow will take home the title Alpkönigin this time?
The traditional alpine festival on Triftalp begins with Holy Mass at 11 a.m.
Railway operation from 7.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- 11 a.m. Holy mass with the yodelling club Antrona, Saas-Almagell
- afterwards entertainment with the Aletschmusik, the yodelling club and Nando & David in the "Weinstube"
- 1 p.m. "Stone pushing" contest and alp chese / Ziger sell
- from 3.30 p.m. possibility to eat the traditional Saas meat soupe
- 4 p.m. Coronation of the cows
12 September 2020
Alpine procession from Hoferalp to Saas-Balen
Experience how the Alpine herdsmen return to their villlage after a summer up on the Alp. The cows are beautifully decorated.
10 a.m.: Alpine procession from "Hoferälpji"
ca. 12 p.m.: Arrival of the procession in Saas-Balen.
Afterwards: Big cheese sale and festive food & drinks in Saas-Balen.
19 September 2020
Alpe Hannig, Saas-Fee (from Alpe Hannig to Saas-Fee)
Accompany the goats returning from the Alpe Hannig to Saas-Fee. At about 10.30, after a "refreshment" for the goats in the Stafelwald, they will continue their parade through the glacier village Saas-Fee. 09.15 a.m. Meeting point on Alpe Hannig
09.15 a.m. Collection for spectators and companions for the "last alpine pasture" in the Stafelwald region
Afterwards move through the village (via church - community hall - upper Dorfstrasse - tourist office - parking lot P1).